Saturday, August 6, 2011

The facing basted on

I haven't had much time to work on the crab shirt, but the lower collar and facing hasn't been far from my thoughts. I asked my mom today if she's ever encountered a pattern like this. She hasn't and she's 80+. Uh oh. I studied the collar/facing and collar/body and pinned it out the way I interpreted the pattern instructions.

It's scary, but I think this is beginning to make sense. Using my Singer 1030 Creative Touch, I basted the pieces right-sides together. The old Singer has a wonderful basting stitch. The rubber feet dogs gently advance the work six steps, and then the machine takes a single stitch. I use pink thread to find my baste stitches later for easy removal.


I missed an edge and not-so-neatly made the turn at the bottom of the V-neck. I'll stitch over it tomorrow. The pattern calls for 1/4" seam allowance. I feel like I've graduated. Most patterns call for 5/8".
The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment