The wild ride of the upper collar and facing continues this evening. As instructed, I cut and ironed on fusible interfacing to my triangular shaped facing piece and the wrong side of the upper collar. Then I marked and stitched a reinforcing line within the pattern's seam line almost up to the center line. Fingers crossed, I slashed the facing piece to form a "Y".
Here's where it gets weird. The upper collar pattern has single, double, and triple notches, which were also generously labeled as 4, 5, and 6. With right sides together, the '4' notches of the upper collar are matched to the '4' notches on the facing. This wasn't as easy as it sounds because my first attempt to pin the pieces together put the collar on backwards. I noticed that the now slashed reinforced edge of my facing was aligned with the collar edge. The only way to make this work was to reverse the collar from my instinct. I've pinned it and, Viola, the result matches the pattern instructions.
I'll sew it tomorrow. G'night.