Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hawaiian Shirt Deux Armscye Gathers & Seams

On the first Hawaiian shirt I sewed a fold where the pattern called for gathers. I decided 'why not?' and did the gathers called for. These are the first gathers I've done. Thank Goodness for Vogue Sewing to hold my hand through the process. In a way, gathers are fun to do. Baste two parallel lines, wrap the ends around a pin on one side, gently pull the bobbin thread, and then sew over.


Normally, I follow David Coffin's method for making armscye seams. For this shirt, I decided to try to pin, baste, and then sew the seam. Then serge the seam allowance to 1/2", press to the body side, and sew down. For a first attempt, it didn't come out too badly.




I don't think the seam comes out as nice as with the Coffin method, but the serger saves a great deal of time. Did I forget? This is the first time I've used a serger to finish a seam. I wish it could have been a straight seam rather than the curved arm seam, but hey.. you'll be the judge of it when I'm done.

Nite nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment